Saturday 19 April 2014

The Patchwork Challenge March Review 7 PWC Year Ticks, 3 PWC new birds, 2 Patch Lifers

I know its late coming but I will end-ever to catch up March was a good month but so far April has been banging.

Every trip for March was at Trimingham and the morning of 2nd March was the first, It started with the usual Skylarks singing and seeing Red-throated Divers over the sea.

Then 12 Brent Geese flew through which is unusual for Trimingham. Scanning the gulls on the Beach I spotted a Snow Bunting hopping along the beach being my first PWC year tick and a new bird for the PWC.

I walked the cliff top flushing up Meadow Pipits along the way I then heard a familiar call but one I would normally recognise in the Brecks as a Patch lifer Woodlark flew over.

On the walk back I saw this Fulmar which almost appeared to be looking for an nest site.




The final bird of the day was an Red Kite flying between Trimingham and Northrepps my third PWC year tick.

The next day out was 9th March another early start. 

The usual birds were about but 4 Crossbill flew over, an obvious movement of Meadow Pipit moving along the coast as many birds were on the cliff top and heading west. 

I then saw two Pipits that were clearly not Meadow, they were in fact Water Pipit. Although the picture is not clear to point to Water Pipit they clear had white tail feathers as they flew.


The Water Pipit was my second patch lifer for the month. I ended the morning see two Red Kite over the south side of Trimingham.

Due to Birthdays and other happenings my next trip out was on 23rd March.



Spring had truly sprung during the last two weeks with many spring flowers now in bloom.

The birds were showing signs also, my first Chiffchaff of the year were singing in the wood. A handful of Siskin flew over. 12 Common Scoter were on the sea and 2 Shelduck flew through, the Chiffchaff and Shelduck being PWC year ticks.

The seventh PWC year tick was a Rock Pipit that was along the cliff.

I ended the day watching these Mad March Hares.





Other birding highlights for the month was seeing the Black Redstart at Cart Gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment