Saturday 14 May 2011

No Sign of Great Snipe

After hearing the news that the Great Snipe was seen again last night I thought I would head down early for a chance of 'daylight' views.

I arrived at Cley at 4.20 and wondered down to the hide, surprisingly 10 other people had beat me to it.

We sat and waited watching Wood Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper and a Common Snipe. I also enjoyed watching the Avocets chasing off everything the tried to walk in their area Redshanks, Shoveler, Mallard (with chicks) and other Avocets. The one bird the aggressive Avocets couldn't shift was a Shelduck this just fought back.

I stayed in the hide until 6.15 by which point it was feeling claustrophobic so I left everyone to it. Scanning the marshes from the board walk I was lucky enough to see the Lesser Yellowlegs fly through and land on a pool in the middle of the marsh and a Temminck's Stint also flew in landing nearby.

I walked back listening to the Reed and Sedge Warblers and also heard a few Bearded Tits.

I got to the car as a Hobby flew low down Old Womens Lane and over my head and then looking back out over the reserve a Bittern flew from the reeds being chased by the local Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment