Monday 21 March 2011

It must be Sprinter

On Satuday I thought I would venture out to the patch in search of Spring, the daffs are out the sun felt warm but the birds had a Winter feel giving the new season Sprinter.

Starting in the garden Brambling and Siskin gave me the Winter feel but Blackbirds collecting worms must mean there is something to feed.

Down on the patch a pair of Mistle Thrush's were a patch year tick.


The next birds were a small flock of 9 Fieldfares that fed for a while before flying north.

The rest of the wood seemed quiet apart from a few parachuting Blue Tits that I watched for about 20mins they were really fascinating. A Great Spotted Woodpecker called and gave a short drum.

The entire wood then went into warning mode as a Buzzard gained height over the tree tops, at the same time a Crossbill flew over which was nice to see.

I finished watching here and headed to Knapton and walked down Paston Way. At first it seemed very quiet but after a small deviation to the track I was walking under a singing Chiffchaff this was my first of at least 15 along my walk from Knapton to North Walsham.
Other highlights were many singing Bullfinch's and pairs of Great Spotted Woodpeckers drumming it out from either side of the track.

I spotted this Muntjac but wasn't quite quick enough to get the picture before he ran off and left a blur.


The walk back from North Walsham to Knapton was also good adding two patch ticks on a small pond in the shape of Greylag and Teal. Arriving back to the spot the Great Spotted Woodpecker were drumming from I spotted this beauty in the trees.

Whilst in the area of Pigney's Wood I got to add to more patch ticks a singing Treecreeper and a Marsh Tit. The bird activity had gone to zero by the time I was back at the car so I headed home.

On Sunday I watched the birds in the Garden at least 3 Bramblings present and 4 Siskins seem to be collecting food so possibly nesting nearby? Took a few pictures below.




Today I was lucky enough to nearly run over a Black Redstart it was on the roadside near the Campsite/Caravan site just NE of Ebridge Mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment