Saturday 13 October 2012

Migrant Hunt

First Day of my holiday on Friday and with the over night rain and some East winds the day before I really wanted to head out.

First stop was Cley, I pulled into the car park and could see that pats pool was full of birds so I thought I would take a closer look.

Three Spoonbills were the highlight amoungst the many ducks and handfull of waders.

 
From Cley I headed for Burnham Overy Dunes, parking on the A149 I wondered down the track.
 
All was quiet until I reach the are where only a few weeks ago was the Booted Warbler but this time two newly arrived Brambling were there instead.
 
 
I wondered around the dunes and bushes for about 4 hours, seeing only 1 Ring Ouzel, 1 Redwing, 1 Song Thrush and a handfull of Meadow Pipits. I think the combination of wind and light rain was keeping everything out of sight.
 
There was a moment of excitment though when I could hear a sparrow like call from the top of a dune. I rushed up to see what it was, only to find it was a Sparrow.
 
A brief look in Holkham Bay and I saw Short-eared Owl come in off and a Pom Skua flew past. Whilst scanning two House Martins flew over as did two Crossbills.
 
On the walk back this Red Kite flew over the fields and dunes.
 


 

After this I went to Salthouse for a sea watch and saw Tons of Gannets, loads of Kittiwakes, lots of Guillemots, around about 200 Common Scoter, 20 Skylark came in off, 1 Lapwing also came in off and a few Starlings.

Also saw 15 or so Red-throated Diver including this on which looked craking even though the picture isn't.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment