Wednesday 23 April 2014

Patch Lifer - Long-eared Owl

After already adding 4 Patch lifers this year I really didn't think I would get another, but on the 6th April I got to Trimingham at 8am and headed along my normal route.

The Cliff Top wood was its normal quiet self when a Green Woodpecker laughed its way onto a nearby tree.

As I left the wood a flock of 16 Golden Plover flew over which isn't a normal site and a small flock of 15 Linnet flew of the cliffs.

Approaching the scrubby area I got my  first year tick of the day a Blackcap was singing along with many Chiffchaff.


And whilst trying to obtain a snap of the Chiffchaff I accidentally flushed an Owl from about 5 yards in front of me. It flew and landed in the bottom of some bushes and was indeed the Patch Lifer Long-eared Owl!!


The owl hopped upwards and out of site so I then carried on.

I walked back through the Cliff Top wood adding a Song Thrush for the day. 

The walk along the cliff was quiet but was not fruitless adding Wheatear and Oystercatcher to the year list.

This Meadow Pipit was one of around 25 Meadow Pipits along the cliff top.


But the day was not done as just before I got back to the car I spotted a wader flying over and it was a Ruff my 5th year tick of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment