Saturday 9 January 2016

Good Day on the Patch

2nd Visit to Gimingham

Started the day at Gimingham and was pleased to see that the Goosander from last week had found some friends and now 4 Goosander were present.


 



A Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail were also nice to see. I did watch a Buzzard that was walking around a field seemingly eating worms which was interesting.  

Only other birds of note were Collard Dove, Stock Dove, Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest and a small flock of Long-tailed Tit which were all Patch year ticks.

Gimingham - This Visit 36 species, total for the year 37

2nd Visit to Trimingham

I walked across the fields as always and saw 5 Red-legged Partridge which were a patch year tick. I then scanned through the Gulls that were sat in the field as came across a patch first and although I saw 6 flying along the sea last week this was the first time I have ever seen Shelduck on the ground within the patch.


I then continued and had a look at the sea which was empty apart from a few Great Black-backed Gulls. I then heard a Gull call from behind me I recognised it and could see the bird flying along the field it was a Mediterranean Gull a year tick for the patch.

I turned back to sea and concentrated on the shore line as the tide was out, A wader fest in terms of Trimingham with 8 Dunlin, 2 Sanderling and a Grey Plover all patch year ticks. A Cormorant flew through which was an additional patch year tick.

I then scanned through the Gulls on the beach and picked out a year tick 4 Little Gulls sitting in a channel made from the incoming tide and they soon flew off when a dog tried to eat them.

I then walked along the cliff top and some shooting in the distance behind made me turn round and flying over (not being shot) was a flock of 18 Pintail a Patch lifer!!!!

I got one more year tick just before heading into the wood, a chance look on the sea and I spotted a distant dark bird, and once scoped I could see it was a Great Skua, it was about a mile out so the picture is not that bad.



Trimingham - This visit 34 species, total for the year 49

First visit - Witton Church

Apart from my first Bullfinch for this area of the patch there was nothing that exciting for the first visit to Witton Church, the usual common stuff plus a flock of 350 Golden Plover and a single Lapwing. 

Witton Church - This visit and total species 22

First visit - Witton Woods

There is a reason I don't head to the woods much in the winter, its really hard work to see any birds.

Today was no exception seeing hardly any birds at all, Mostly Woodpigeon with a handful of Goldcrest and a few Siskin flying over.

Witton Woods - This visit and Total species 18

Total for all the patch this year 81








No comments:

Post a Comment