Friday 1 April 2016

Thayer's Gull and Bank Holiday patching.

Other Birding not listed in the Title

During the week we went to see the Peregrines at lunch, nice to see and will be making many more visits over the coming weeks.


A small family of three Jays also sat like statues in the Cathedral grounds, took a few minutes for me to be convinced they were actually real.


The moon was also showing well one night last week


On Good Friday it was my daughters Birthday so no actual birding was allowed. But the weather was nice so did have some time in the garden.

There were at least 20 frogs in the pond doing what they do this time of year.


I spotted this pale Buzzard fly over, which got me excited twice as by eye it first looked like an Osprey and when it circled a big white rump was showing so I thought Rough-leg, but once optics and camera were retrieved it was clearly neither.


I also have a very approachable Siskin in the garden.




10th Visit to Pigneys Wood 26th March 2016

An early visit to make the most of before the clock changed and stole an hour of morning light.



An obvious mix of winter and spring was in the air, with Fieldfare and Redwing flying over and an abundance of Chiffchaff singing all around the wood.

Plenty of Wrens in full song also.


As well as the same showy Song Thrush from the week before, this time in better light.


Around the reeds at least 5 Water Rail were present as well as two Bearded Tits and a Kingfisher.

Two flyover Meadow Pipits were the first for the year at Pigneys.

This hybrid goose has moved in, my guess CanadaxGreylag ?


Three drumming Great Spotted Woodpeckers were nice to hear also and this one allowed be to get my most black and white full colour photo ever.


A Muntjac was showing just as I was leaving.


Pigney's species seen this visit 45 total for the year 69.


5th Visit to Ebridge 27th March 2016

Another dawn visit, and a nice sunrise to watch





As for the birds Canada Goose was the first for the year at Ebridge, as was the Kingfisher that flew through.

Otherwise the birds were fairly quiet although I was limited to time as had to hide some eggs in the garden. This Goldfinch was nice though, as well as Bullfinch, and Lesser Redpoll.


Ebridge species seen this visit 43 total for the year 64


Minsmere - Thayer's Gull

Yeah I braved the weather and saw the Thayer's Gull



I found shelter and waited for it to brighten up slightly in the effort of a better picture.

The the local Peregrine had other Ideas.


Most birds drifted off towards Sizewell, so I followed them scanned through with no luck, although it wasn't easy scanning through 3000 birds.


I was cold and wet so didn't stay long, but manged these pictures.






No comments:

Post a Comment