Monday 13 June 2011

A long time coming

When I first started birding I picked three birds I really wanted to see, Hoopoe, Bee-eater and Golden Oriole it didn't take long to see all of them so I picked three more but said to myself I want these in the UK and these three I would make an extra effort for if any turned up. I picked 'the next three' back in 2000 and these were Bluethroat, Red-flanked Bluetail and Roller.

Bluethroat I got in 2001, Red-flanked Bluetail I eventually got in 2006 and since then they are now common as muck, but Roller always all has been the bird that got away until now.

Was extra busy at work when a text from Adam saying have you gone for the Roller yet? threw my off my stride. A quick look at the pager confirmed that the Roller had been seen at Upper Hollesley Common which was great as we had only been there in the spring to look at a Great Grey Shrike after seeing the Short-toed Treecreeper.

I then worked exceptionally hard and luckily after working Sunday Night and starting early I was only 45mins short for the day when I left at 3.15.

Foolishly I had left all of my gear at home so decided to go back and get it and by 4pm I was on my way, with Adam who had been waiting at my house and we pick Philip up on the way.

We arrived at Hollesley Common not much before 6pm and after spotting James we walked down to see him and I got my first view of the Roller through his scope.




They are a truly spectacular bird and on our own doorstep.




We watch the bird for an hour flying down to the ground and catching Bettles then flying to different perches. The bird seemed to be feeding really well and looked very alert and with the skies clearing tonight I would be suprised if it is still there in the morning, but you never know.


The Twitch itself was great and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Below is a video of the bird and the twitch itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment