Thursday 17 January 2013

Patchwork Challenge first visit

Having been busy getting 'better' I had stayed 'in' and opted not to go to the patch, last weekend I was better and after spending Saturday getting pictures of that wonderful Dipper, I had a few hours spare early morning to do my first real patch visit.

The reason I say first real visit is that I had stopped very briefly with highlights of Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher on the 7th.

I have also decided to try and photograph as many scarce (and rare if it happens) birds for the patch as possible to document my findings.
 
I started Sunday before sunrise, slightly later than planned due to having to scrape the icey snow stuff off the car.
 
I went to Pigney's Wood and after the normal first Woodpigeon of the day, I saw a Wren, Dunnock, Chaffinch and I spooked a Song Thrush from the undergrowth.
 
A Blue Tit gave a warning call and alerted a small flock of Siskin that flew away as this Barn Owl flew through. The Owl was close but as I have a new camera I keep it safe in a case and by the time I got it out it was this far away.
 
 
I walked further along seeing Bullfinch and fly over Redwing and Greylag. Below is a picture of where a Cetti's Warbler sat as I pressed the shutter button.
 
 
The next highlight was this Little Egret that I spooked from a pool next to the path, it took off and flew through between two Ivy covered trees and in turn it the spooked a roosting Tawny Owl which flew off and into the trees. The Little Egret circled and landed in this tree.
 
 
A few Lapwing flew over and a Waterail swam across the river.
 
 
My second Kingfisher for the patch flew over the pools, and this small flock of Woodpigeons got disturbed by gun shot.
 
 
I added Great Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Redpoll, some Pink-footed Geese and a Pied Wagtail before heading home.
 
I went home via Witton and a flock of Chaffinchs/Yellowhammers held this Brambling.
 
 

 After taking the family shopping we all went for a walk around Witton Woods and I managed to see Goldcrest and two fly over Crossbill.

No comments:

Post a Comment