Wednesday 23 January 2013

The Snowy Patch Visit

 
I set out early on Saturday with the hope of finding some clear water ways and maybe a bit of the Whitlingham magic would occur here. I arrived at Pigney's Wood and spooked a Woodcock from near the car park. All the larger bodies of water were frozen and only a few little streams were flowing. The Little Egret from last week was still about though.
 

The Barn Owl was about again also.



Also manged to get part of it Barn Owls foot print.



I manged to clock up a few more species for the patch work challenge seeing Reed Bunting, Buzzard and Skylark. Only other birds of note at Pigney's were 5 Bullfinch and the Siskin/Redpoll flock was up to about 150 birds though very mobile (so mobile I never actually saw them land).

After Pigney's I thought I'd try my luck with Ebridge Mill, not alot happening here apart from a Teal on the unfrozen part of the canal, and this Egyptian Goose on the Frozen part.


I went home had a cuppa then headed out again but this time to Trimingham. I got to the Cliff Top wood before seeing any birds. A Treecreeper was with a Long-tailed Tit flock and a I spooked my second Woodcock of the day. Upon leaving the wood for a sea watch I noticed a flock of birds that had just taken off, these were a Lapwing and Golden Plover mix that had been put up by a Peregrine.

Watch the sea was hard with a very strong and freezing cold Easterly, I didn't stick at it long maybe 40mins. But did see two Brent Goose, Gannet, Kittiwake and plenty of Red-throated Divers.


After the sea watch I headed for home via Trimingham Church where a flock of Thrushes were busy looking for food.



I arrive home to see I have Bramblings back in the Garden seeing at least four.



 
After another cuppa I went sledging back at Pigney's Wood where a Hen Harrier (ringtail) flew through.

No comments:

Post a Comment